Ask The Expert – What Is Involved In Becoming A Certified Energy Auditor

Q: I would like to gather some information regarding certified energy auditor in commercial and industrial lighting. I have achieved bachelor in Electrical Engineer and working as an EIT with this company. I would really appreciate if you send me specific information about the certification process.

-G. Bansal

A: This is a confusing subject. In fact, we created a special report to help decipher all of the certifications. It depends on what certification you want to get. For example, RESNET and BPI certifications are easier to get that certifications from AEE (Assoication of Energy Engineers).

  • The RESNET and BPI certifications are designed for residential auditors, and their education / experience requirements are pretty easy to achieve. If you are looking to become a residential auditor this is the way to go. They are really not applicable if you are looking to audit commercial buildings or industrial facilities.
  • AEE CEA (Certified Energy Auditor) and CEM (Certified Energy Manager): these certifications are more robust and have extensive education, experience, and continuing education requirements (similar to getting your PE). They are focused on commercial and institutional audits. If you are looking to do industrial energy audits, these are the only applicable certifications. That being said, since they are focused on commercial and institutional audits, you need a lot of real world experience to be truly qualified.

I hope this helps. You can find out more on each certification at their respective website.


Simply enter your information below to get INSTANT ACCESS today:

Simply enter your information to get INSTANT ACCESS today...